4us2 is seeking three new trustees to bring additional skills and experience to the board
Please read through the information below and email us on firstname.lastname@example.org if you think you can help us or would like to know more. You can also call Victoria, our Operations Manager on 01843 446030 who will be able to put you in touch with the trustees. Ideally we’d like our new trustees to join us during summer 2017.
We are especially looking for people with skills in marketing, major contracts and team leadership, but all offers of help will be gratefully received!
Structure, Governance and Management
4us2 is a charitable company limited by guarantee. It was incorporated in August 2010 and registered as a charity in January 2011.
The directors of the company are also charity trustees for the purposes of charity law. The majority of directors / trustees will always be made up of parents or carers of disabled children or young people, but we also welcome trustees who are not.
The Board has recently increased its role in the strategic management and planning function of the charity. Board members now drive funding and fundraising, strategy development and business planning, financial management, marketing and corporate communications.
Meetings are held every 6 weeks excluding school holidays. They are currently held on Wednesday mornings. Trustees do not have to attend all Board meetings, and we will strive to accommodate new trustees who have work commitments that make day-time meetings impossible.
To improve the lives of disabled children, young people and their families across East Kent and elsewhere, using our specialist knowledge and experience as parents, carers and service users.
Location: Meetings are generally held at Windchimes, Herne Bay. 4us2 has bases at Green Banks, Margate and Orchards, Sittingbourne
Role type: Permanent. Trustees generally commit to a term of three years
Voluntary role, with payable agreed expenses
Hours: Board meetings (2 hours) are held every six weeks. Trustees take on tasks for action between meetings, ranging from 10-minute tasks to pieces of work that may take several days
Purpose of the role:
Statutory duties of a Trustee
- To ensure 4us2 complies with its governing document (the Articles), charity law, company law and any other relevant legislation or regulations
- To ensure 4us2 pursues its objects as defined in its governing document
- To ensure 4us2 uses its resources to achieve its objects: the charity must not spend money on activities that are not included in its own objects, no matter how worthwhile those activities are
- To contribute actively to the board of trustees’ role in giving firm strategic direction to the organisation, setting policy, defining goals, developing sub-committees, setting targets and evaluating performance against agreed targets
- To safeguard the good name and values of 4us2
- To ensure the effective and efficient administration of 4us2
- To ensure the financial stability of 4us2
- To protect and manage the property of the charity and to ensure the proper investment of the charity’s funds
- To appoint the Operations Manager and monitor his/her performance
In addition to the above statutory duties, each trustee should use any specific skills, knowledge or experience they have to help the Board reach sound decisions and further the aims of 4us2. This may involve:
- Preparing and scrutinising board papers
- Leading discussions and focusing on key issues
- Taking on tasks or broader work-streams
- Providing support and guidance on their areas of expertise
- Consulting with members and actively representing their views
Skills or interests that would be especially welcome:
- Marketing and promotion
To help promote 4us2 through traditional media, social media, the website and social contact. Ideally we are looking for one of our new trustees to have previous marketing / promotion experience
- Consortium working and major contracts (Totius)
To represent 4us2 in meetings and for initiatives involving the county-wide consortium for disabled children, known as ‘Totius’. Ideally, we are looking for one of our new trustees to be able to take on a role where they will be representing 4us2 at quarterly meetings of this Charitable Incorporated Organisation (CIO).
- Leadership (future Chair)
We are seeking someone who would be willing to shadow the current Chair with a view to becoming Chair of 4us2 in 2018.
4us2 has been awarded funding through Comic Relief to develop its Board of Trustees, so training opportunities, away-days and peer support are available to new trustees.
All trustees need to be computer literate and to have access to email, as all of our paperwork is distributed by email.
All trustees are subject to a DBS check.
For further information about 4us2’s plans, please see:
4us2 Business Plan 2017-2022 (will be available on this site in June 2017)
Our Annual Reports, available via the Charity Commission website
Other information on this website!