Browse other related pages:

Schools & educationHealth & wellbeingLocal charities, clubs & services
National charitiesParent-led charities in Kent
4us2 Family Outreach & SupportResources

Citizen’s Advice Bureau has useful information for families of disabled children on its on-line Advice Guide

Contact a Family has a freephone helpline for advice about appealing Housing Benefit decisions where a disabled child is involved. The number is 0808 808 3555

Disability Rights UK has a helpful and clear benefits advice page

GOV.UK may offer you some pointers and advice on what you are entilted to and how to find out how to apply for it

Your local Children’s Centre can give you advice on benefits. You need to register with the Children’s Centre to access their services.

Disability Living Allowance is a benefit that is payable by central government to the parents / carers of some children with disabilities.  Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for children may help with the extra costs of looking after an eligible child who:

  • is under 16
  • has difficulties walking, and or,
  • needs more looking after than a child of the same age

The DLA rate is between £21 and £134.40 a week and depends on the level of help the child needs. The child may need an assessment  to work out what help they need. The form for claiming DLA is quite complex and has to be filled out in full.

Child tax Credits are payments from the government. If you’re responsible for at least one child or young person, you may qualify for Child Tax Credit, and if that child or young person has a disability,the levels of child tax credit are higher. If you work, but are on a low income, you may qualify for Working Tax Credit. You can often get both types of tax credits. They aren’t taxable.

Family Fund Tax Credit Project, running until the end of March 2016 – Do you get Disability Living Allowance for your child?  Are you also getting Tax Credits? You might be missing out on an extra payment called the Disabled Child Element of Tax Credits.  Family Fund are working on a project with Tinder Foundation in England to make sure more families are aware of this extra payment which could be worth up to £60 per week, depending on your circumstances.  If you would like some help or more information please email

Housing Benefit: You could get Housing Benefit to help you pay your rent if you’re on a low income. Housing Benefit can pay for part or all of your rent. How much you get depends on your income and circumstances. You can apply for Housing Benefit whether you’re unemployed or working. You must apply to your local district or Borough council for Housing Benefit.